My New Bedroom

At the beginning of August, I moved into a new apartment in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. With a new apartment, comes a brand new bedroom to decorate. My mom owns her own interior design business, so I’m blessed to have her help with that major project.

I found out about the move in March or April, which gave Mom and me plenty of time to plan. Our design aesthetics are slightly different (mine is more modern), but she always does a fantastic job helping me execute my vision. My bedroom and blog designs have each only been finished in the last week or two. They’re very similar, which wasn’t planned but doesn’t surprise me. I stuck to a blue, green, and gray color scheme with clean lines and geometric accents for both. Take a look at my bedroom details below:

EvannClinganRoom1

One of the main reasons I love my new room is because everything in it was very affordable. These days, everyone has a Pinterest board dedicated to their dream home (me included), but the furniture and accessories in those pictures aren’t realistic for a 20-something to purchase. I wanted to create a quiet yet colorful space in this big city to call my own, without emptying my bank account. Take a look at the captions under each of the following pictures to find out how I did it.

Note: I’m aware that not everyone’s Mom is able to sew decorative pillows and valances for their windows. These were a much-appreciated gift from mine. Thanks, Mom!

EvannClinganRoom3

Bed – MALM from Ikea; Bedding – Greek Key Quilt & Pillowcases from Stein Mart;
Wall Stickers – Lottie Dots Decals from Land of Nod; Pillows – Made by Nancy Clingan

EvannClinganRoom4

Desk Chair – Old (reupholstered with zebra print fabric); Desk – Ikea table (covered in Greek key fabric with Mod Podge); # and @ – Wooden signs from T.J.Maxx (painted with Martha Stewart Craft Paint); Instagram Photos – Poster from Printstagram

EvannClinganRoom5

Dresser – MALM from Ikea; Mirror – ULSBERG from Ikea;
Canvas – Painted using Martha Stewart Craft PaintFramed Cards – Received for various occasions

EvannClinganRoom6

Cube Shelving – EXPEDIT from IkeaCanvas & Valance – Made by Nancy Clingan

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

17 Comments

• Reply Linda Klatt

LOVE IT!
    I was lucky enough to see the fabrics at your Mom’s when everything was still in the design stage so seeing the result is just great! I can just see it now – the N/E Clingan New York Apartment Design Company.

August 26, 2013 at 7:37 am
    • Reply evannclingan

Thank you, Mrs. Klatt! That’s so fun that you got to see the “behind the scenes” portion of the process. I keep telling my mom that she has to come up to NYC to design and charge twice as much. Also, thank you for subscribing to my posts and reading :) See you over Thanksgiving!

August 27, 2013 at 11:56 pm
      • Reply Linda Klatt

Yes! Would love to see you at Thanksgiving!
        One more comment – the painting in the last photo is wonderful – your Mom did this also? Is there anything she can’t do?!

August 28, 2013 at 7:51 am
        • Reply evannclingan

She did paint that canvas and gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. It’s a modern interpretation of me dancing. She’s so multi-talented!

August 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Carly A. Heitlinger (@collegeprepster)

Your room is SO CUTE!!!

August 26, 2013 at 9:21 am
    • Reply evannclingan

Thank you so much, Carly! I appreciate it.

August 27, 2013 at 11:56 pm
  • Reply J. Parker

Wow, what a cute, cute, CUTE apartment! I think I may actually be in love with your desk now though – such a neat idea to modge podge that matching print on it. And don’t even get me started on those pillows! Your mom is an interior design genius!

J. Parker

August 26, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • Reply evannclingan

Thank you! I’m blessed to have such a talented mom.

Covering the desk in fabric actually wasn’t very difficult. I’ve gotten a few requests for a tutorial, so look out for that in September.

August 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm
  • Reply Caroline

Love! May I ask how well does the fabric adhere to the desk….did your mom do that too? It’s adorable. You should do a post with instructions :)

August 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm
    • Reply evannclingan

Hi, Caroline! Thanks for reading. The fabric adheres VERY well. My mom and I completed that project together. It feels as though there’s a slightly rough layer of plastic over the fabric. It holds up to heat and water, as well. You can sand the dried Mod Podge for a smooth plastic feel.

I’ve been asked by a few people for a tutorial. Look for one in September!

August 28, 2013 at 12:00 am
  • Reply Lauren Campbell

Evann your room is adorable!! I just moved and am figuring out how to jazz my new place up, and this is very inspiring. Question – are the shelves above the desk built in, or did you add those? More storage = always good

August 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    • Reply evannclingan

Thank you so much, Lauren! Feel free to borrow from my ideas. Fortunately, these shelves were built into a little alcove in my wall. There were little ledges sticking out of those pillars, and the shelves are just boards balancing on the ledges. Maybe you could recreate that somehow?

August 28, 2013 at 12:01 am
  • Reply Mary Smith

So very cute! What are the names of your paint colors and brand?

September 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm
  • Reply Dionne

Love your room! Very clean lines yet modern and edgy! Congrats from a fellow Elon Alum! Glad I discovered your blog!

September 27, 2013 at 9:35 am
    • Reply Evann Clingan

Thank you so much, Dionne! I’m really pleased with how it turned out. And thank you for reading!

October 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm
  • Reply Looking Back at September | Evann Clingan

[…] a look inside my recently decorated bedroom. My pillows and desk are my favorite […]

September 29, 2013 at 7:33 am
  • Reply Miathewindowcleaner

Your room looks gorgeous. I fell in love with the dresser and the asymmetric mirror! I love plain pieces with clean lines, they are so classy! Nice job!

February 11, 2015 at 10:47 am