How I Use ClassPass While Training for Races

How I Use ClassPass While Training for Races

How I Use ClassPass While Training for Races

Alala Flyweight Hoodie Tee (c/o) / Alala Take Sides Knee Tight (c/o)

I know, I typically post on Wednesday. Today is Friday. While I should have written this post over Thanksgiving weekend, I’ve been spending my time celebrating the holidays with friends and family. Additionally, brands have been hosting events to close out 2015 and introduce products for 2016. I love this kind of busy. Next week, I’ll share photos from the Daybreaker + NTC event (a few are on Instagram), but today I want to talk about ClassPass (that’s a referral code for $10 off).

If you’re unfamiliar with ClassPass, it’s a subscription service that lets you to take an unlimited number of boutique fitness classes per month. While you can only take three classes per studio each month, ClassPass offers hundreds of options that range from yoga to boxing to spin studios. ClassPass is currently in 30+ cities. You can use it in your city and in other cities while traveling. I’ve been using ClassPass for over two years now and have reviewed it in the past (here and here). The only time I paused my membership was when I was training for my first marathon. That’s important to note, as this post is about why I choose to subscribe to ClassPass while training for races. This fall, I became a ClassPass Ambassador. This means that I co-host events, write blog posts, and share company news. I still pay for my own membership but am compensated for referrals. Keep reading to find out why, how, and where I use my membership.

How I Use ClassPass While Training for Races

How I Use ClassPass While Training for Races

Why I Use ClassPass: This time last year, I was training for the Walt Disney World Marathon. I was working with a coach and running four times per week (30+ miles). My body felt tired, and I felt that it wasn’t worth paying for ClassPass at the time to take two classes per week (yoga and strength). After my marathon, I realized how much I missed taking classes–because I enjoy them and because my body needs them. I was still cross training but didn’t have the variety of options or cost savings that ClassPass provides. I rejoined in February and continued to train with my coach through October. Over the last month and a half, I’ve created my own training plan by looking at past plans from my coach and other training plans online. I’m by no means an expert, but my goal has been to enjoy a more balanced fitness routine to close out 2016. I felt great in Las Vegas, and now it’s on to Austin.

How I Use ClassPass: I’m now training for the 3M Half Marathon in Austin and following this weekly schedule: 3 runs (one short, one long, one Mile High Run Club class), 1 strength class, 1 barre class, 1 yoga class, and one rest day. I have my training plan in Google Sheets, so I can look ahead and make sure my workouts are scheduled around other events and activities. Often, I register for my favorite studios at noon one week …

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

6 Comments

• Reply Melissa

I think that adding variety to a fitness routine is so important – and it sounds like you recognize that too with your use of ClassPass! I’m a big strength training girl, and I also really love Fhitting Room and Uplift. I can’t believe I still haven’t made it over to one of the BFX studios…one day soon I hope!

December 7, 2015 at 3:19 pm
    • Reply Evann Clingan

Yes, I’m also more excited to work out each day when there’s variety in my schedule. Strength training definitely helps keep a runner’s muscles in balance. You do need to make it to BFX! Let me know if you have any studio favorites.

December 7, 2015 at 4:37 pm
      • Reply Melissa

I’m a bit bias because I work at Row House (Chelsea)…but I think that’s a fabulous workout. Other recent studios I’m hooked on are Overthrow (Boxing) and Megaformer Studios Brooklyn Bodyburn & Flex. I’ve also had a love affair with Exceed for almost a few years now…such a great studio!

December 8, 2015 at 12:38 am
        • Reply Evann Clingan

I’ve been meaning to come to Row House. I know some other bloggers are a fan! Many of these studios are new to me. Thank you!

December 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm
  • Reply How I Fit My Workout Into My Morning Commute

[…] Friday, I talked about why I choose to subscribe to ClassPass while training for races. Today, I thought I’d talk about how I fit many of those classes in […]

December 11, 2015 at 7:04 am
  • Reply Beth Greenwald

classpass hurts fitness studios and our instructors lives. To pretend otherwise is wrong. In the end it will end poorly for fitness class members too.

The smartest move Soulcycle made was staying a Premium Service and saying no to classpass.

I have run studios for years. Classpass does not work for studios. Your membership will leave you for classpass once members learn they are paying double what the others in your classes are paying. Your user base will be very angry at you. Incremental revenue is the fantasy that classpass is selling. It does not work out that way. Members abandon studios for classpass. Your loyal user base will not be happy to learn that they are paying $25 and you just sold classes to classpass at $7-$10. You will become a $7-$10 an hour studio and will compete with every other $10 studio around you on a per class basis for users. You will be owned by classpass.

——-

article against Classpass in the New York Times:

She would rather pay full price at SoulCycle than see the studio become even more crowded. “I’m like, ‘Please don’t join ClassPass,’ ” she said.

Another explanatory article:

Why Tula Yoga Studio Is Passing On Classpass

——–

Fitness Studios must not sign up with Classpass. It puts yours and everyone else’s fitness studio in danger. You cannot simply supplement your income with a little Classpass. That is the fantasy Classpass sells. Membership is critical to a Fitness Studio’s success or failure. Classpass takes this away. It is the money earned “no matter what” — the “recurring membership” that is critical to a fitness studio. Classpass takes this for itself when they take your members. A studio will need 10 regular new classpass members for every membership they lose. This is not happening and fitness studios are beginning to die. Users like Classpass just as they loved restaurant deals on Groupon. Restaurants dropped Groupon because it didnt work. Fitness studios are entering into a deal with the devil that they will not escape from because unlike a single Groupon deal… Classpass is recurring. When they take away your membership it will never come back. Classpass is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. They present themselves as a studio’s friend but really they are taking memberships away from studios. Until and unless Classpass institutes a rule to stop members leaving fitness studios to become members of classpass they are killing fitness studios. Classpass attempts to fake fitness studios out by their rule of only allow a member to go to a specific studio 3 times in a month but that only furthers the Classpass goal by getting members to go to many fitness studios belonging to nobody but Classpass. Already according to the CEO over 75% of Classpass members dropped their memberships with fitness studios to join classpass. By attempting to supplement a fitness studios income using Classpass a studio introduces classpass to all its members and teaches them to use Classpass.

December 19, 2015 at 11:54 pm